Kitoi Bay Hatchery (KBH) is a large Pacific salmon production facility (215 million pink, 36 million chum, 2 million Coho and 850,000 sockeye salmon eggs) located on Afognak Island. This is a remote site approximately 25 miles north of the city of Kodiak, accessible only by floatplane or boat.
DUTIES: This position works under the supervision and direction of the Maintenance Engineer and KBH Managers and assists with maintenance of the facility and equipment. Kitoi Bay Hatchery has multiple buildings, both residential and hatchery related, plus on-going construction projects.
This position is expected to participate in a variety of maintenance and construction duties including, but not limited to:
- Routine maintenance of facilities and equipment including diesel engines, power generators, boilers, backhoe, bobcat, boats, outboard motors, small engines, pumps, hydraulics, UV equipment, piping and plumbing, septic systems, phone and internet systems, housing and household appliances;
- Construction, fabrication and repair including carpentry, piping and plumbing, metal work and welding (especially aluminum), concrete and masonry;
- Perform additional support duties as required for successful maintenance of the facility.
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience with Building and Equipment Maintenance, General Repairs, Construction, and/or Fabrication is highly preferred.
- High School diploma or GED; Minimum of 3 years’ experience in maintenance related field.
- Must be able to work in a safe, responsible and professional manner, as part of a team or independently with minimal supervision. Due to remote work location, must be able to get along with all other employees during working and off-duty hours.
- Specific experience in maintenance/construction of remote facilities, especially a salmon hatchery, is preferred though not required;
- Significant experience in repairing small engines and outboards;
- Ability to operate and provide maintenance and repairs to heavy equipment preferred.
- Favorable employer evaluations regarding experience, skills, aptitude and attitude (references required);
WAGE/BENEFITS: This position is a permanent, 12-month position. Housing and utilities provided. Other amenities include weekly mail/freight service, phone, internet, satellite TV and exceptional outdoor recreational opportunities in the Kitoi Bay area.
- Wages DOE: Starting Range $18.50-$21.50/hr., overtime eligible. Wage increases based on annual performance evaluation.
- Excellent benefits include 401K retirement plan with employer contribution, health insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO), 12 paid holidays/year, R & R flights to Kodiak, coverage of some moving expenses.
START DATE: ASAP; Open until filled.
Submit resume and three references to:
Tina Fairbanks, KRAA Executive Director. (907) 486-6555 email@example.com
and Randy Mason, Kitoi Bay Hatchery Manager. (877) 628-4449 x1 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or deliver to: KRAA, 104 Center Ave Suite 205, Kodiak, AK 99615