Kitoi Bay Hatchery (KBH) is a large Pacific salmon production facility (215 million pink, 36 million chum, 2 million Coho and 850,000 sockeye salmon eggs) located on Afognak Island. This is a remote site approximately 25 miles north of the city of Kodiak, accessible only by floatplane or boat.
DUTIES: This position works under the direct supervision and direction of the Maintenance Manager and Assistant Manager assisting with maintenance of the facility and equipment. Kitoi Bay Hatchery has multiple buildings, both residential and hatchery related that require general upkeep during the busiest time of the year. This position will participate in a variety of maintenance and general handyman services.
- Routine maintenance of facilities, equipment and grounds.
- Facility maintenance includes but not limited to: monitor heating fuel levels, clean plugged drains, move furniture, painting, plumbing repair, fire extinguisher checks, repair/replace dock boards, and keep maintenance shop clean and organized.
- Equipment maintenance includes but not limited to: preventative maintenance on small engines, hydraulic pumps, 4-wheeler, outboards and boats; replace boat props, replace propane tanks, clean filters, repairs on household appliances and repair flat tires.
- Grounds maintenance includes but not limited to: site cleanup, load/unload planes and barges, grocery delivery, burn garbage, brush removal, move lumber/pipes/supplies, repair bear damage and electric bear fencing.
- Basic knowledge in construction, carpentry, and plumbing. Fabrication/welding (especially aluminum), and concrete/masonry recommended, but not required
- Perform additional support duties as required for successful maintenance and operation of the facility.
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience with Building and Equipment Maintenance, General Repairs, or a general Handyman is highly preferred.
- High School diploma or GED; minimum of 2 years related maintenance/general handy man experience.
- Must be able to work in a safe, responsible and professional manner, as part of a team or independently with minimal supervision. Due to remote work location, must be able to get along with all other employees during working and off-duty hours.
- Favorable employer evaluations regarding experience, skills, aptitude and attitude (references required).
WAGE/BENEFITS: This position is a temporary, 3-month position. Room and board provided in a dorm-type bunkhouse with communal kitchen and living areas with utilities provided. Other amenities include weekly mail/freight service, phone, internet, satellite TV and exceptional outdoor recreational opportunities in the Kitoi Bay area.
- Wages DOE: Starting Range $16.50-$18.50/hr., overtime eligible. Wage increases based on annual performance evaluation.
- Paid flight to KBH from Kodiak at the beginning and end of term. Transportation costs to Kodiak will not be provided.
START DATE: ASAP; OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Submit resume and three references to:
Or deliver to: KRAA, 104 Center Ave Suite 205, Kodiak, AK 99615